Saturday, November 12, 2011

Drive-by exhaustion

At 5 a.m., after one glorious hour of sleep, I got a call from the retail establishment. I don't know why I answered it. They were asking me to come in and do shipment with them. They had a ton, and their on-call person called off sick. I don't know why I agreed to go in.

I worked from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. I put my foot down before coming in, saying I HAD to leave at 10. So I left, slept from 11 to 1, put myself together, ate some lunch, and went into work (again) at 4. I work until midnight and I have an employee meeting at the retail establishment at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

People usually say I'm completely crazy for holding down two jobs and working insane days like that. In college, it was usually double-shifts for three or more straight days, and I held four jobs between home and school. But my technique has usually been to pound through those days and live for the weekend, I guess? I count down the hours to a day when I can sleep in or a day that I have entirely to myself (Monday is one of those days, btw. And it'll be that much more enjoyable if I've worked hard all week.)

One big pet peeve I have with work is the people who call in sick. I get it if you're legitimately projectile vomiting all over your bathroom. It's another when you're just tired or you have a bit of a sniffle. There are tissues at work. Use hand sanitizer, take some Tylenol, get over yourself, and go do your job. I've gone to work sick. Yeah, you're probably going to be a biohazard and someone will catch your illness. But it's not like your boss is going to be even remotely compassionate to your plight if you don't have sick days. The most irritating phone calls I've gotten from work are from people who hack all over the phone trying to convince me they're incapacitated and I should work in their place. I'm pretty flexible and will literally work any time I'm not already scheduled to work (evidence: this morning.) I'm tempted to say no when I hear a pity party.

Okay, so after my daily pet peeve, here's some stuff that makes me happy:
1.) I get to hang out with my husband tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'm going to knit all day.
2.) Bath and Body Works came out with a new fragrance called Strawberry Sparkler that smells oh-so-good.
3.) I'm almost done with the gray hat. Knitting tomorrow and Monday should about finish it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment